Sunday, April 8, 2012

Today I Learned...Have all your supplies ready BEFORE you start (Crockpot Candles)

As I type this post, I am enjoying the scent of a candle I made in my Crockpot! I first learned how here and it really is easy...and SO much cheaper than buying candles.

Materials
Crockpot
Glass containers (I used 4 oz. mason jars--12 for ~$8 at HEB)
Soy wax flakes ($9.99 for 2 lbs. at Hobby Lobby--1 lb of soy wax flakes will make about 16 oz. of candle)
Pre-made wicks long enough for your containers (I used 3.5" wicks $2.69 at Hobby Lobby)
Essential oils or fragrance oils (I used 4 different scents: peppermint essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, vanilla fragrance oil, gardenia fragrance oil--price varies depending on the oil ~$5 per oz.)
Popsicle sticks
Plastic spoon

Total project cost (about $20...the soy wax was on sale 30% off, I already owned the essential oils, so I don't consider those a cost for this project, and I only used 4 of the 12 jars I bought) That's only $5 per candle! It would be even cheaper to reuse jelly jars, etc. Plus, you get to control how strong the scent is...and it's all natural!






How It's Done

1. Put your glass containers in the Crockpot (leaving space between them...no stacking!) and spoon wax flakes into them leaving about 1/2 inch of space between the top of the container and the top of the wax flakes. Turn the Crockpot on to high and walk away (If you can stand it! I checked back every five minutes because I was so excited!).

2. In about 25-30 minutes, check on your candles. You will notice the wax is no longer 1/2 an inch from the top of the container...add some more wax flakes and check in about 5 more minutes. Keep adding until you reach the 1/2 inch mark.

3. Now it's time to add fragrance and/or dyes. About 5 drops of essential oil will do for the 4 oz. mason jars, but more will be needed for larger candles. The fragrance oils will need a bit more...about 10 drops for the 4 oz. jars. Stir with the plastic spoon or a Popsicle stick (be sure to wipe off the stirring device between candles if you are using different scents). You can turn off the Crockpot now. (I did not use dyes, so I'm not sure how much you'll need. Follow package instructions.)

4. Add wicks! Carefully line up a wick in the center of each container (my jars have some kind of marking in the center, so it was easy to center the wicks). You may want to cut a notch in the Popsicle sticks to help hold the wicks in place, but mine worked well just resting on the sticks.


5. Let your candles rest and set for about 3 hours. Then they should be set enough (and cool enough) to remove from the Crockpot. Let them completely set for at least 6 hours (overnight) before lighting them. Be sure to label if you made more than one scent.

6. If you used mason jars, you can make the candles even better by adding a little square of fabric to the lid like this:


Wouldn't these make cute gifts?! I cannot wait to share them with friends :)

The lesson: Make sure you have all the supplies ready and in the kitchen with you BEFORE you start. I found myself running to the garage (where I store my crafting supplies) to frantically search for Popsicle sticks to hold up my stubborn wicks. Thankfully, the wax was hot enough that it did not harden in the time I took to find the sticks and get back to the kitchen. Another thing I would add to this...label your sticks with the scent you are using in each candle so you don't forget which is which.

No comments:

Post a Comment